Friday, November 18, 2011

Kevin Matthews

My old buddy (and former colleague) Kevin Matthews did his last show on WLAV in Grand Rapids yesterday. Robert Feder reports...

"It's over and out for Chicago radio veteran Kevin Matthews after five years as morning personality at WLAV-FM in Grand Rapids, Michigan. His last day at the Cumulus Media station was Thursday. (As alter ego Jim Shorts might say: "That's bad!") In a message to fans on his Facebook page, he wrote: "I love you Kevheads so very much, thanks for the love back. What a wonderful group of human beings you are. We sure have had some laughs." In 2008 Matthews disclosed his battle with multiple sclerosis."

I interviewed Kevin for Chicago Radio Spotlight shortly after he announced his MS diagnosis. Years ago I also interviewed his alter-ego Jim Shorts. That was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. I just looked at that interview again...when I say years ago, I mean it. (It was 18 years ago.) The new morning guy at WLAV, by the way, is another former colleague of mine, Tony Gates.