Wednesday, October 26, 2011

WLS Layoffs

Robert Feder has the details of the behind the scenes layoffs at WLS in Chicago.

These were mandated by the company that bought WLS, Cumulus Broadcasting. Among the cuts were the program director of WLS-FM (Michael LaCrosse) and three producers, including the executive producer for both Don & Roma and Roe & Roeper.

It looks like Jan Jeffries (photo) has returned to take over the FM. He's the VP of programming for the entire company, but he's also a former WLS program director from back in the big 89 days. I interviewed Jan this past summer for another project I'm working on (details to come soon), and I found him to be a very knowledgeable guy. He really understands the legacy of that radio station--and I predict we'll be hearing some former WLS jocks back on that station soon. (And by the way, that's not a bad thing...there are some legends out there that are still available).

As for the producers being cut...that always cuts a little too close to home for me, even all these years later. I know Jock (Roe & Roeper's producer) came from television and hopefully he'll be able to return there. I dealt with Zach (Don & Roma's producer) when I interviewed Don Wade for that same project I mentioned earlier. He's considered a good one, and hopefully he'll land on his feet. I don't know Greg Brown's producer, but I do know Greg--and I'm sure Greg will do whatever he can to help.


It's sad to say, but I get the feeling my book "The Radio Producer's Handbook" will one day be considered an oddity. "What's a radio producer?"